Phoenix Centre has served friends, family and neighbours in Kamloops and region for over 30 years, assisting them to overcome the challenges of problematic substance use. We serve over 1500 youth, family members, and adults every year by providing both inpatient and outpatient services.
Early engagement is one of the single most powerful strategies when it comes to helping people whose lives are impacted by problematic substance use. Whether a youth is using, has a friend or parent who uses, the effects can be devastating. By connecting with at-risk youth early on, creating a community of belonging, and engaging them in healthy activities we make an enduring and constructive impact on their life.
The Ashes to Dust Mountain Bike Camp is an event for male and female youth aged 14 to 25 that face any barriers in their life. The camp will be held September 7th and 8th, 2017 at Juniper Bike Ranch where professional coaches and riders will teach the youth new skills and share their passion for the sport. The two days will include lunch and snacks, water, transportation between Riverside Park and Kamloops Bike Ranch (participants must get dropped off-and picked up from Riverside Park), bikes and riding gear, coaching, trail maintenance education. The youth will be mentored every step of the way learning new skills, connecting with new people, and most importantly learning about themselves.
After the event, participants will be encouraged to stay connected with the mountain bike community by participating in group rides, bike maintenance workshops, and staying connected through social media on our Facebook Page @AshesToDustKamloops
We are looking for male and female youth ages 14 to 25 whose lives have been impacted by problematic substance use (either their own or someone close to them); who do not typically have access to organized sports; and/or experience other barriers in their life.
If you know a deserving youth who fits this criteria, please complete the attached application form and waiver. Deadline to apply is August 8, 2017. Spaces are limited to 15 new participants. Additional spaces are open to return participants, but they will not be gifted a new bike or gear. All applicants must:
- Download and complete the application form and send it in no later than August 8, 2017
- If needed, negotiate time away from their studies to participate;
- Attend a two-hour icebreaker event on September 6th, from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. to meet the participants and coaches, get-fitted for gear, and prepare for the camp;
- Fully participate in all activities associated with the camp;
- Stay connected with the mountain biking community after the event through participation in ongoing riding and group events; and
- If under the age of 19, have a legal guardian sign the application form and waivers; and
- Participate in post-event evaluation
Download application form HERE and email to A2D@phoenixcentre.org or fax to 250-374-4621 or drop off directly at The Phoenix Centre at 922 3rd Avenue, Kamloops, BC.
For further information contact Deanna at A2D@phoneixcentre.org or 250-299-1259.